My New Kentucky Home: WKU Apartment construction continues

Trey Crumbie

Those who want to move off campus in the future may want to give the Kentucky Street apartments a look.

Brian Kuster, director of Housing & Residence Life, said construction began last May and is scheduled to be finished by the end of June. Bad weather caused a construction delay, but Kuster said the apartments will still be ready to open by August.

The apartment contains 95 two-bedroom, two-bath units and 32 one-bedroom, one-bathroom units. Each unit will contain a full kitchen, living room, and will be fully furnished including washers and dryers. 

Payment can be paid on a monthly or semesterly basis. 

The apartments are owned and will be operated by HRL.

Kuster said around 350 people applied to live in the apartments even though the apartment complex only holds 222 bedrooms. Because of this, the rooms were reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Those who applied but weren’t reserved a room are put on a waiting list.

For those living in the apartments, parking will be available on the Adams Street Lot as well behind the apartment complexes themselves.

Because the apartment complexes are off campus, the apartments aren’t available to freshmen and sophomores. Kuster said this limitation will open up more rooms in the residence halls on campus, especially those that are more desirable because of their private bathrooms, such as Northeast and Southwest halls.

“It’s trying to attract students that would be moving off campus anyway,” Kuster said.

The apartments aren’t completely limited to students. A married couple can move in to the apartments provided that one of them is a student, Kuster said. Students with dependent children can apply to live in the apartments as well.