Campus LGBT pride survey supported by SGA

Jackson French

A Student Government Association proposal to take the Campus Pride Index, a survey measuring campus LGBT friendliness, has passed unanimously and been submitted to the Administrative Council.

Scottsville senior and Student Identity Outreach president Andrew Salman proposed the idea that WKU take the Pride Index to the Office of Diversity. 

From there, he said, SGA senator Nicki Seay picked it up and proposed it to SGA. 

He said the purpose of the Index is to “diagnose the areas in which the university is not meeting all the needs of its queer students so that we can begin to work on reversing that.”  

While SGA’s resolution was helpful, Salman said, the Index still requires further approval. 

“We need the permission of Administrative Council to take it,” he said. “SGA’s proposal was just to recommend that we take it.”

Seay, a Crofton junior, said WKU has never taken the Index before.

“Whenever you take the Index,” she said, “the Campus Pride Index organization kind of works with you to show, ‘okay well this is what you’re doing good on as far as LGBT policies are, here’s what you could improve on, here’s some first steps, some things that are very low-cost or no-cost’ and so you just kind of keep retaking the survey, kind of working with that organization to get your score up.”

She said when the Index suggests changes to make campus more LGBT friendly, the school will work toward making the revisions. 

The SGA proposal states that multiple LGBT students have recently reported “instances of bullying, harassment or other activities that make them feel unsafe and unwelcome on campus.”

According to the proposal, several schools throughout the state have taken the Index, including the University of Louisville, Morehead State University, the University of Kentucky and Centre College.  

The Campus Pride Index’s website lists eight criteria to determine LGBT friendliness, which includes policy inclusion, housing, campus safety and recruitment and retention efforts.

Seay said the Administrative Council was supposed to look over the proposal yesterday, but said consideration will possibly be delayed.