CAB set for annual screening of ‘Rocky Horror’ at Capitol Arts

Kristina Burton

Once trick-or-treating becomes a thing of the past, some young adults may think their days of dressing up and going out on Halloween night are over.

WKU’s Campus Activities Board, along with the Capitol Arts Center in downtown Bowling Green, is hoping to convince WKU students otherwise with their annual screening of “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

The event highly encourages audience participation, and while the movie is playing, there are also actors acting it out.

Memphis junior Jasmine Hockaday, CAB Late Night and Novelty committee chair, has been preparing the cast that will be acting during the event. She has also been making prop bags that audience members can purchase to use during the movie.

Hockaday said she’s enjoyed working with such a wide variety of people.

“These are all such different people, and if it wasn’t for this play, I would have never encountered any of them,” Hockaday said.

Hockaday said she is glad all of the actors were able to come together and get along like they have.

Matt Byrum, a 21-year-old senior from Dalton, Ga., is one of the actors that will be performing during the event.

“I’ve done it for the past three years since I was a freshman, and I absolutely love it,” Byrum said.

Byrum plays the role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, the show’s main antagonist.

“He’s a crazy, bombastic, hedonistic person, who juxtaposes what goes with the prim and proper characters of Brad and Janet,” Byrum said. “He’s creating a monster, Rocky Horror, to be his perfect man, and he’s searching for just the right dash of masculinity to create the perfect creature.”

Byrum said the highlight for him is the interaction with the audience.

“Every year is different,” Byrum said. “I love seeing reactions as I run past them in their seats and just being in character around them with them egging me on and having fun with me.”

Cape Coral, Fla., freshman Elizabeth Kindma is excited to attend the event as a viewer.

“I think it really gets everyone into the spirit of Halloween because it’s an eerie type movie,” Kindma said. “Plus, I love musicals and it’s a really fun show.”

Kindma said she is also hoping for lots of audience participation and a big turnout.

“The more the merrier,” Kindma said.

Kindma encourages other students to attend the show.

“It’s a chance to experience new things and get out of the dorm and participate in something at the same time,” Kindma said.

Hockaday said she hopes people will come out to this unique event.

“‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ is a fun, quirky, different environment,” Hockaday said. “People dress up, too, so it’s pretty much like a big Halloween costume party.”

Byrum said “Rocky Horror Picture Show” is one of the greatest B-film science fiction movies ever created.

“It’s a throwback from the 70s to what was going on in the 50s with that genre,” Byrum said. “It should be on the bucket list to watch for anyone who likes movies, and there’s no better way to do it than in public with a shadow cast. You lose that element watching it by yourself.”

The doors of the Capitol Arts Center open at 9 p.m. on Halloween night and show time is at 10 p.m. Admission is $7 and prop bags will be available for $3. Content is not appropriate for all ages, and no one under 17 will be admitted without an adult.