Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity is currently under investigation by the office of Student Activities.

Howard Bailey, vice president for Student Affairs, said allegations of violations to the student code of conduct were raised over fall break. The investigation of the fraternity wrapped up Friday afternoon, he said.

Multiple sources told the Herald the organization is under investigation for hazing. But Bailey and Charley Pride, director of Student Activities, could not confirm this.

“Our staff feels that there are strong indications that some improprieties have possibly occurred,” Bailey said.

Pike President Bret Parks said the investigation is a private matter, and that the fraternity as of Sunday had not yet had their final meeting with university officials about the investigation.

Pride and Kenneth Johnson, assistant director of Student Activities, interviewed between 40 to 50 people for the investigation, Bailey said.

Once the interviews are reviewed, Bailey said action may be taken against the organization.

Because of activities related to Homecoming, Bailey said the understaffed Student Activities office hasn’t had the chance to compile all of the information into writing.

Pride said Student Activities has been lucky in the past few years, with relatively few Greek investigations having taken place.

But after allegations are brought to his office’s attention, Pride said they begin to investigate and determine if a violation took place by conducting interviews.

“If you are a student, you are required to work with us,” Pride said.

Pride said the two most common violations that are investigated are alcohol abuse and hazing.

As defined in the student code of conduct, “Western Kentucky University defines hazing as any action, physical abuse or creation of a situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health of a participant by any person.”

The code of conduct also states, “Members of the university community recognize that a violation of any federal, state and local laws governing the use and possession of alcoholic beverages, including off-campus, is prohibited.”

The Interfraternity Council, of which Pike is a member organization, is the governing body for WKU’s fourteen North-American Interfraternity Conference fraternities. Pride said while the council could take action if a fraternity is found to be in violation of a policy, often times IFC defers to the university.

“Peer on peer often times doesn’t work out,” Pride said. “I think they would prefer the university who has more practice doing it.”