First SGA meeting of the year looks at what’s to come

Sarah Stukenborg

The Student Government Association kicked off the semester with their first meeting of the year Tuesday night in Cravens Library.

The SGA read a resolution regarding support of the value-added grading system, and they will be give it a second read next week.

The meeting started with a report on the renovations in the Downing University Center.

The area of the building that will be completed for the fall 2013 semester will hold a Starbucks, Fresh Food Company, Yo-Blends and the WKU Store.

Another topic discussed at the meeting was SGA’s considering partnering with Health Services for their event “Healthy Days” and contributing to spring break give-away bags with various items that will keep students safer during their travels.

This would be promotional for SGA as they would include some SGA gear, but would also promote safety.

The remaining SGA budget left to work with for the year is at $57,309.

SGA uses their budget to fund their signature services such as the Safe Rides program, or the “Purple Line,” organizational aid and scholarships for WKU students.

An upcoming event for SGA is the Campus Clean-up. For this event, students come together to clean up different areas of campus.

The university report also noted that the Board of Regents approved football coach Bobby Petrino’s contract.