Phillip Phillips to perform at WKU this spring

Taylor Harrison

American Idol fans at WKU have something to look forward to this spring.

Phillip Phillips, the singer who won Season 11 of American Idol, will perform at Van Meter Hall on April 8 at 7 p.m.

Tickets for the concert will be on sale starting on Feb. 4 at 8 a.m. The concert costs $25 for floor seats and $20 for balcony seats. Tickets can be purchased at the WKU Ticket Office at Diddle Arena and online at ticketmaster.com

Rachel Goodman, assistant director of Campus and Community Events at WKU, said the process of getting Phillips to perform at WKU started around last August. She also said she thinks Phillips’ sound works well for the college demographic.

“Just speaking as a college student from back in the day, Dave Matthews had a huge appeal to me because they’re so good live and especially in an intimate venue like Van Meter,” she said. “I think that that sound will carry really, really well.”

She also said that Phillips was interested in reaching college students.

“He really wants to be on college campuses, so it was really important to their agency that tickets be affordable for students,” she said.

This event is part of “Van Meter Events Presents” and is the inaugural concert for the series. After they see how this event goes, that will deem where the series goes from there.

She said there will be approximately 1,000 seats for the concert and she thinks they will fill up.

“I expect it to be sold out and probably people waiting to get more tickets,” she said.

Even though it is just a possibility for now, Goodman said the office might look into partnering with a radio station, and then the station might be able to give away around 10-12 tickets to promote the concert.

The concert is also for the Bowling Green community, rather than just WKU students.

“From what I remember, college students gravitate toward that kind of sound, especially a really good live sound,” she said. “And with his acoustic guitar, he’ll be phenomenal in Van Meter.”