Nursing program to expand thanks to new building

Cameron Koch

WKU’s nursing program and upcoming doctor of physical therapy will have a new home in the fall of 2013 thanks to an agreement between WKU and Commonwealth Health Corpoation.

A new building, to be located adjacent to The Medical Center Complex in Bowling Green, will be constructed by The Medical Center and leased to WKU for use by the nursing and physical therapy programs.

John Bonaguro, dean of the College of Health and Human Services, said that the new building will satisfy one of the nursing programs biggest needs – more space.

“We’ve been turning away qualified students, now we’ll practically be able to accept all qualified students,” Bonaguro said.

Thanks to the new building, the program will be able to grow in size from 80 to 160, with the possibility of continued growth, Bonaguro said.

Features of the new building are going to include  simulation labs for the nursing program, observation rooms, an 80 seat computer classroom and an auditorium that is estimated to seat about 200 people.

“This is a great opportunity to advance our nursing practice with a state-of-the-art facility and will help recruit students and recruit faculty as well,” Bonaguro said.

Ann Mead, vice president for Finance and Administration, said The Medical Center was committed to an aggressive construction schedule to have the building complete by the fall of 2013.

“This will be wonderful for our students, a brand new facility,” Mead said. “The nursing faculty are ecstatic about this, to have a state of the art facility and the ability to partner with The Medical Center to get it done.”

Construction on the project is expected to begin this summer.