Freshman Zollo granted full scholarship release, will transfer

Vinny Zollo became the second WKU player in a week to announce that he’s transferring from the program. Zollo appeared in all 35 of WKU’s games this past season where he averaged 3.7 points and 2.7 rebounds per game.

Brad Stephens

Vinny Zollo’s WKU career has come to an end.

The rising sophomore forward told the Herald on Thursday night that he will transfer, confirming a Bowling Green Daily News report.

Zollo said Head Coach Ray Harper granted him a full release from his scholarship in a meeting on Tuesday.

“It’s kind of one of those deals where a lot of change goes on in the program and a lot of things going that way, you’ve got to kind of evaluate everything,” Zollo said. “You’ve got to see how things are going to be different and project and see if you can see yourself in your current situation.

“After doing that and talking to a lot of people and trying to make a tough decision, I finally came to one.”

Zollo is the second rising sophomore to announce his transfer from WKU in the last week.

The school announced guard Derrick Gordon’s transfer on April 5, saying Gordon was leaving to be closer to his family.

With a full release from his scholarship, Zollo is free to talk to any school he wishes.

“I’m just going to open it up and once word gets out I’ll start this recruiting process all over,” he said. “I’ve got a few people in mind. I’m not going to mention who now, but I’ll just go from there, evaluate like I did a couple of summers ago and see what’s going to be in my best interests.”

Zollo appeared in all 35 games this season, starting 14 of them, where he averaged 3.7 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.

Zollo moved to Winchester during the summer of 2009, soon after committing to Kentucky as a high school freshman.

However, Zollo’s scholarship offer to UK was rescinded when John Calipari replaced the coach to whom Zollo committed, current Texas Tech head coach Billy Gillispie.

Zollo played three years at George Rogers Clark High School, committing to WKU before his senior season.

He said leaving his WKU teammates was the toughest part of his decision.

“It definitely wasn’t easy man, it was tough,” Zollo said. “But at the end of the day, I really think this is going to be the best thing for me and that’s really what it’s all about.”