Cage the Elephant to play in Nashville

Chris Rutledge

Cage the Elephant will play its first local show since last year’s concert on campus this Tuesday at 8 p.m. at Marathon Music Works in Nashville. Admission is $25 in advance or $27 at the door.

This will mark the first time Cage has played Nashville since the release of their sophomore album, “Thank You, Happy Birthday,” in 2011.

Guitarist Brad Shultz said the band members will celebrate the occasion by playing through most of their song catalog, old and new.

“This will be the first time that Nashville has seen us with the full production, with lighting and all that stuff,” Shultz said.

In the past, Cage’s Nashville shows have been notoriously rowdy.

Tiger Merritt of Morning Teleportation remembers opening for the band at the Cannery Ballroom in 2009.

“I got dropped on my head twice crowd surfing,” Merritt said. “They put gay porn on all of our monitors, condoms on the microphones and flour in the drum kit.”

Shultz said he’s not sure if this show will be quite as bizarre.

“Matt (Shultz) may wear a dress — you never know,” Shultz said. “If he’s feeling saucy that day.”

Local rock band Schools will open the show. Shultz said in Schools he sees potential for another nationally successful act from Bowling Green.

“Jay Joyce, the same guy that did both of our albums, did their album, Shultz said. “Sleeper Agent have done really awesome, and they recorded their album with Jay Joyce. This is another opportunity to showcase Bowling Green.”

Shultz said the band members wrote much of “Thank You, Happy Birthday,” in cabins near Barren River Lake. Shultz said the band will head back to those cabins in May and will be hitting the studio in July.

“Hopefully we’ll be getting the new album out by the end of this year,” Shultz said. “It’s going to be different, just like everything else that we do.”

The band won’t be back to Bowling Green until Starry Nights Music Festival next semester.

“We’ve actually helped book Starry Nights the past couple years,” Shultz said. “I don’t want to throw any names out there just yet, but I know people are going to be pretty excited about what’s about to come to Bowling Green.”

Shultz said Starry Nights hopes to drop the lineup before the end of this semester.

“Sometime in early May, we’re thinking,” he said.