Study Abroad at WKU partners with ISEP

Nolan Miles

The International Student Exchange Programs has partnered with the WKU Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning in an effort to provide students with more opportunities to travel abroad.

ISEP is a non-profit organization that provides students with “affordable access to international education,” according to its website. It offers both student exchange and direct programs that give participants the chance to stay at either a host home or at ISEP-member universities. Africa, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Oceania and North America offer member universities for student international travel through the program.

Thomas Millington, director of Study Abroad and Global Learning, said WKU views ISEP as an excellent complement to existing study abroad opportunities, including the Kentucky Institute for International Studies, Harlaxton College and Semester at Sea.

“We would like to send more students to Africa and the Middle East, and ISEP offers programs in those regions that will help us do that,” Millington said.

The Harlaxton College program in Grantham, England has seen record numbers of study abroad participation this semester, sending a total of 36 students to the manor house, according to the Honors College Facebook page. WKU has been sending students to Harlaxton College — which is owned by the University of Evansville — since 2007.

“It’s a fairly unique academic experience with the [required] six credit-hour British Studies course led by British faculty,” said Clay Motley, associate director of Academics for the Honors College. “Most students like it, but find it difficult. It’s a good type of challenge and students find it to be a positive experience.”

Louisville sophomore Michelle Porter is currently studying at Harlaxton.

“I knew it would be the experience of a lifetime and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity,” she said.

Millington said WKU is excited for the new partnership with ISEP, which will give students more choices and opportunities when it comes to deciding where to travel.

“More and more students choose to study at WKU because of the university’s commitment to study abroad and internationalization,” Millington said. “Many WKU faculty lead short-term programs abroad, and this inspires many students to more actively pursue study abroad.”