Rally for Higher Ed. in Frankfort on Tuesday

Taylor Harrison

WKU students who are against budget cuts in higher education or increases in tuition may want to attend The Rally for Higher Education in Frankfort on Tuesday.

The Student Government Association partnered with other student governments in Kentucky to host the event. SGA is encouraging students to attend the event, especially since it has been deemed as excusable by administrators.

The event will take place in the Kentucky Capitol Rotunda from 12 to 2 p.m. EST.

SGA Executive Vice President, Kendrick Bryan, said legislators will speak at the event, as well as some of the student body presidents from the universities involved in the rally.

Along with WKU students, delegates from the University of Kentucky, the University of Louisville, Northern Kentucky University, Eastern Kentucky University, Morehead State University and Murray State University are expected to attend the event, according to SGA’s blog.

The governor commonly attends the event, but is usually a last-minute add. The details are still being finalized, Bryan said.

Bryan said it’s an important event to attend because it allows students to meet with legislators and get their voices heard. He also said it can be a very influential event and that the legislators look forward to seeing the students.

SGA President Billy Stephens said there will be two speakers at the event from within the colleges and universities involved.

“They speak just about how higher tuition is just such a burden on our lives,” Stephens said.

Speakers will also discuss how tuition shouldn’t be increased, because it puts a damper on young people’s college aspirations, Stephens said.

Kaylee Egerer, SGA’s speaker of the senate, said one reason the event is so exciting is because it gets Kentucky’s students together — it brings all the public universities to one place.

“The presidents of each student government organization at universities across the state of Kentucky work hard to put this rally together each year,” Egerer said.

Egerer said there have always been buses that take students to the rally in years past, so as far as she and Stephens know, the buses should be available this year as well. The Rally for Higher Education link on the SGA website said students can email [email protected] to reserve a seat on the buses.

Those whishing to attend the rally can RSVP on SGA’s website.

Because the rally falls on a Tuesday, there will be no regular SGA meeting at 5 p.m.