Penny Wars benefits the local United Way

Cameron Koch

Coin jars clinked and rattled in Downing University Center as pennies, dimes and quarters were poured into them during a Penny War event put on by the Student Activities Office on Tuesday.

Various campus groups, mostly Greek organizations, set up booths and battled for donation supremacy. Pennies inserted into a group’s jar counted as positive points, while other coins and bills added negative points.

The event raised a total of $481.85, with Omega Phi Alpha sorority winning the event.

All the money raised will be donated to United Way of Southern Kentucky, a nonprofit organization that raises money and donates to various philanthropic organizations.

Though the attendants were mostly Greek organizations, Kyle Smith, a graduate assistant in the Student Activities Office, said that any student organization can have a bucket and support a good cause.

“We’re trying to do better than last year,” Smith said.

The event last year raised $250, Smith said.

Sophomore McKenzi Halcomb said she and her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, were glad to support United Way.

“Even if we lose, its money for a good cause,” Halcomb said. “We will definitely be back for the jail & bail.”

Another Student Activities fundraising event, Jail & Bail, will take place March 1 in DUC. The event has various volunteers placed in jail and requires donations to be made to bail them out.

Senior Craig Lonas, who represented Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, crafted a makeshift donation box that included a big red with his mouth wide open to receive donations.

“I love working with the Student Activities Office,” Lonas said. “They always are fun to work with.”

Lonas said he only learned about the event the night before, resulting in his homemade box as he walked around asking for donations.

“Its been fun to watch the fraternities and sororities fight with each other,” Lonas said. “It’s not a penny battle —  it’s a penny war.”