WKU alumna’s store fuels ‘junking’ habit

Labold and Sons Spot Cash is the home of many treasures, and is also the second home of the co-owner, Danielle Labold. The 35-year-old Labold, along with her husband and sister, have been in the process of moving into their new location on Main Street.

Natalie West

Storeowner Danielle Labold considers herself a “junker,” as she enjoys digging through dumpsters for hidden treasures, even while wearing a dress.

In early October, the WKU alumna moved her salvage shop to 326 East Main St., and changed its name from Labold & Sons Salvage to Labold & Sons Spot Cash Store.

Labold renamed the store after the men’s clothing store, Spot Cash, which had been in the square since 1929. She bought the store after the building was sold at an auction.

Since then, Labold has made it her own. The store has everything from a 1950s piece of furniture to a vintage turquoise ring.

“People call it picking, but I consider it junking,” Labold said about the way she collects the vintage pieces for her store.

The store owner is also an artist and donates a lot of her own artwork to the Humane Society and RePets Animal Rescue for silent auctions to help the facilities raise money.

Labold said her favorite things to paint are disgruntled animals in tight suits, such as annoyed dogs on high-wheeled bikes or actual angry birds in heels.

The owner said she had the idea to open a store this past spring and soon set forth to WKU’s campus to see if students liked the proposal.

“I tried to chase down artsy looking people,” she said. “I looked for hands with clay or paint on them and asked the people if they would have interest in a store like this.”

Labold opened the first store over the summer. She likes to sell to locals and doesn’t do business online.

“I want people who are going to appreciate the beauty of the object – not those who just want to scrap it,” Labold said.

She recently collected bricks that had been left behind from different locations and used them to make flowerbeds.

“I don’t think of anything as trash,” Labold said. “Most of the stuff people throw away I can patch or use some way.”

Many of the items in her store have been previously broken or discarded, which Labold then refurbishes.

“I brake for broken things,” she joked.

However, Labold didn’t just open the store to garner a greater appreciation for things of the past, but to also recognize current artists and their works.

In addition, Labold said she was tired of paying double for art.

Now, not only are the items in her store already discounted, but students with their WKU ID receive a 10 percent discount on all vintage clothing and other things Labold named her “unusuals.”

In addition to buying art, students can also sell their work in Labold’s store.

“My goal is to get everyone on my waiting list who is an artist in here and to get their art in a shop,” Labold said. “Many people just don’t give theirselves enough credit for how good they are.”

The owner said students can call and set up an appointment to talk about displaying their art.

Glasgow senior Jake Morrow, a graphic design major, said he would definitely be interested in an opportunity like this.

“I think it’s a great idea to get the students’ art involved in the city rather than just on campus,” Morrow said.

Labold said she’s excited for students to start bringing works into the store.

Her coworker, Kenneth Hesson, said he also wants to see pieces come into the store.

“These things had a story before, and now they have a story again,” he said.

Hesson said he has been helping with the store since the start, and that the process has been inspiring on both his love for the arts and his life.

“There is nothing like this in our town and after you visit once, you can’t stop coming in,” Labold said. “We have something new out every day.”