SGA co-sponsors Thanksgiving dinner for those at WKU

Taylor Harrison

For those students who will be on campus for Thanksgiving, the Student Government Association and the Department of Housing and Residence Life are co-sponsoring a Thanksgiving dinner.

The free dinner will take place on Pearce-Ford Tower’s 27th floor at 3 p.m. Thursday.

The dinner will be open to all residents of PFT, international students, the University Police Department and anyone else remaining on campus for Thanksgiving.

Attendance is estimated to be about 50 to 60 people.

As the SGA bill for the funding of the dinner states, the dinner will have an educational component to it — to teach international students about American Thanksgiving traditions.

SGA is providing $220 for the dinner. Student Affairs Chairperson Natalie Broderick said the money will go toward purchasing food and supplies for the dinner.

“We think it’s really important for everyone to experience Thanksgiving,” Broderick said.

Broderick said this is especially important for students from other cultures.

SGA has co-sponsored the dinner for three years of the event’s six-year history.

Executive Vice President Kendrick Bryan said the SGA will purchase the goods for the dinner rather than having the event catered.

Campus Improvements Chairperson Keyana Boka said that a lot of students are on campus during the holiday, and most of them are there because they have to be. Many of the students remaining on campus don’t have any local family.

Some police officers will also have to be on campus, which is why they are invited to the event as well.

“It’s open for anybody who is stuck on campus and can’t go home for the holidays,” Boka said.