WKU improves in Trojan sexual health rankings

Katherine Wade

WKU moved up 20 spots to reach No. 47 on the 2011 edition of Trojan Condoms’ list of sexually healthy campuses.

Each year, Trojan ranks more than 140 schools based on sexual health information and resources available on the campuses.

This is the sixth year for the list. Columbia University has topped the list for two consecutive years.

According to an email from Trojan Condoms, student health centers were graded in 13 areas, including sexual health awareness programs, availability of contraceptives and student opinion of health center.

“Schools that did well in this year’s report card tended to score uniformly high across all categories, while those ranked towards the bottom were less consistent in category grades,” said Bert Sperling, the study’s lead researcher.

Jataun Isenhower, health educator for Health Services, said WKU does a large variety of things to promote sexual health education on campus.

“We do a lot of presentations to classes and residence halls and Greek life,” she said. “A lot of the presentations we do have demonstrations included.”

These presentations are usually done by request, Isenhower said.

“When we do a presentation, our main goal is usually to raise awareness that there are risks,” she said. “We try to educate people about what they may not have heard, and explain what is myth and what is fact.”

Isenhower said Health Services also has a newsletter in all the dorms that incorporates sexual health information.

One of the changes that Health Services has adopted this year is a diverse selection of condom options for students.

“We’ve made more options available,” Isenhower said. “Before we just had Lifestyle, but we’ve got all different kinds now, including Trojan – flavored as well as extra lubricated and latex free.”

Isenhower said all students can provided with condoms and lubrication for free.

“One of the things when it comes to condom usage is accessibility — if they know it’s out there and available, it will increase usage among students who are sexually alive,” Isenhower said.

Health Services also offers free HIV testing once a month and free STD counseling in the spring.