WKU VP Mead spends time fishing, playing fantasy football

Katherine Wade

On weekdays, Ann Mead spends most of her time on campus, juggling her jobs as administrator and instructor.

But on the weekends, Mead can be found in a much different environment.

Mead, vice president for Finance and Administration and a University Experience teacher, loves to fish and spends most weekends at a home she bought at Barren River Lake.

Mead said fishing is a way to “disconnect from the pressures of the week.”

“People are often shocked when they hear that I love to fish,” she said. “I guess they think I’m a girly-girl, but I do everything from baiting the hook to taking the fish off it if I’m so lucky.”

Mead has a son, Trevor Mead, who is a student at WKU. He said they spend a lot of time on the boat or at the dock together.

“We both love fishing,” he said. “It’s really her main thing though. She’ll spend hours at a time at the dock.”

The biggest fish Mead said she has ever caught is a 17-inch large-mouth bass.

Besides fishing, Mead has a number of passions that keep her busy off the job.

Trevor Mead recently convinced his mother to participate in her first ever fantasy football league.

“I lost the first game rather significantly,” she said.

Trevor Mead said his mother has been getting really into the fantasy football league this past year.

“I kinda help her with it,” he said. “She doesn’t know a lot about it.”

Trevor Mead said he and his mother have always been close.

“We have a real easygoing relationship,” he said.

Ann Mead also volunteers for the animal rescue program through the Humane Society in Bowling Green. This often involves helping transport dogs part of the way from Georgia to Minnesota. She recently drove four dogs from Bowling Green to Elizabethtown.

Mead said she loves animals and tries to make a difference in their lives. She has adopted four dogs and three cats from the Humane Society.

“Each one has a story,” she said. “I never planned on having that many pets!”

Before coming to WKU, Mead spent 17 years as Director for Finance for the Council on Postsecondary Education. During her time here, she has held a number of positions, including director of institutional research and chief financial officer.

Now, Mead works as an administrator and teaches a University Experience class for business majors.

“As an administrator, with your day to day duties…you don’t feel as in touch with the heart of the campus because that’s the students,” she said.

Mead said she made the decision seven years ago that she’d like to spend time in the classroom.

“I feel passionately about mentoring students, and I really enjoy the interaction,” she said.

Mead said she wants to be able to convey at every opportunity that WKU really cares about students individually, especially freshmen.

Mead said teaching has given her a greater appreciation for faculty and how much work they do. It has also made her a better administrator, she said.

Mead said when she retires from her administrative position, she hopes to keep teaching.

And, of course, keep fishing.