Committees to discuss WKU faculty, staff regents’ term limits

Committees to discuss WKU faculty, staff regents term limits

Katherine Wade

The WKU Board of Regents committees are scheduled to meet Friday, with the biggest discussion point the determination of term limits for faculty and staff regents.

Currently nine of the 11 Regents have statutory term limits, but faculty and staff regents do not. Their current term is three years, followed by an election among the entire faculty and staff deciding whether or not they return to the board.

“There is no reason to put on artificial term limits because we already have the responsibility to vote them in,” said University Senate president Kelly Madole, earlier this month. “If we don’t want someone to continue or to vote someone in, we won’t. The process seems to be working fine.”

As of the July 29 Board of Regents meeting, amendments to regents bylaws in regards to term limits were left undecided until President Gary Ransdell could get recommendations from faculty and staff representatives.

At its meeting on Sept. 15, the University Senate voted unanimously against faculty Regent term limits. The Staff Council also made its recommendation earlier this month.

Also, the Student Government Association last week passed a resolution against term limits.

Ransdell will be on hand to hear those recommendations, according to agenda materials for Friday’s meeting.

None of the other seven four-year state universities in Kentucky have term limits on their faculty and staff regents

The current term for faculty and staff regents is three years. Once that term is up, an election among the entire faculty and staff determines whether or not they return to the board.

Current Faculty Regent Patti Minter is running against Pamela Petty for the position of Faculty Regent. Elections are on Oct. 13 and nominations are open until Sept. 29.

Friday’s meetings begin at 9 a.m. in the Cornelius A. Martin Regents Room of Mass Media and Technology Hall.

The Executive committee will also vote on the approval of a resolution of appreciation for Yevette Haskins, who served six years on the board, and for the approval of a resolution regarding the WKU Child Care Consortium Head Start and Early Head Start.

The other committees meeting are Student Affair committee, Academic affairs committee and Finance and Budget Committee.

According to the agenda materials, the Student Affairs committee will have a Downing University Center renovation update by John Osborne, vice president of campus services and facilities, a fall housing briefing by Howard Bailey, vice president of student affairs, and a meal plans briefing by Osborne.

The Academic Affairs committee will begin by voting on the approval of a graduate certificate in adult education and the emeritus faculty appointment followed by an enrollment report by Brain Meredith, associate vice president of Enrollment Management and a SACS Interim Fifth Year Update by Richard Miller, vice provost and diversity officer.

Finally the finance and budget committee will meet to vote on the approval of WKU general receipts bond resolution and personnel actions.