WKU wins two on Friday to improve to 8-1

Junior outside hitter Jordyn Skinner (12) celebrates a block against Wake Forest with teammates in the second set against Wake Forest in the WKU Tournament at Diddle Arena on Friday.

Lucas Aulbach

The Lady Toppers just keep on winning.

WKU (8-1) won both of its home matches on Friday, beating Xavier 3-1 and sweeping Wake Forest in three sets on the first day of the WKU Tournament.

“We succeeded on a lot of levels out there today,” Head Coach Travis Hudson said. “It was kind of the same story. We defended at a really high level. Offensively I’m still not really pleased with where we are, but I know that’s coming. As longs we defend, we’re always going to have a chance.” 

Despite Hudson wanting more on offense, junior outside hitter Jordyn Skinner racked up 49 kills on the day, with a career-high 30 of those coming in the match against Xavier. 

The 30 kills are the second most in a match in school history.

“It’s nice to have that, but it should go on my teammates because my teammates made it possible for me to do that,” Skinner said.

WKU dropped the first set against Xavier, 25-19, but came back to win the next three sets.

Sophomore setter Melanie Stutsman tied her season-high in assists with 46 in that game.

Sophomore defensive specialist Ashley Potts led the team with 20 digs. Skinner and junior defensive specialist Sarah Rogers each recorded 12.

Hudson said the Lady Toppers were able to capitalize on match-up advantages on Friday.

“There are certain teams that we just match up well against,” he said. “I thought the things we do well would give them problems and it worked out that way.”

Sophomore setter Melanie Stutsman tied her season-high in assists with 46 against Xavier.

Sophomore defensive specialist Ashley Potts led the team with 20 digs, with Skinner and junior defensive specialist Sarah Rogers each recording 12.

Hudson said he wanted a large crowd for the Lady Toppers’ first home matches of the season, and he got just that.

Diddle was about half full during Friday night’s match against Wake Forest.

“It’s so meaningful to us to have all these fans here supporting us,” senior middle hitter Lindsay Williams said after the Wake Forest match. “It feels like everybody cares about how you’re doing, everyone cares about seeing you play well. It’s electric.”

Skinner said she was impressed by how much the crowd gets in to the games.

“Not only do they come and just sit there, they actually cheer and are loud and interact,” she said. “It’s awesome to have fans like we do.”

Hudson said the home crowd also played a big role in how the Lady Toppers performed.

“Diddle had a great buzz to it tonight,” he said. “It’s the best atmosphere we’ve played in this year.”

The WKU Tournament will conclude tomorrow when the Lady Toppers play Louisiana State at 2 p.m. The match is free to the public.

Despite the fact that LSU lost to Xavier on Friday, Hudson said he isn’t overlooking the Tigers.

“To be honest, I think LSU is the best team we’ve seen all year,” he said. “We’re going to have to play extremely well to be in that match.”