School hosting auditions for ‘face of WKU spirit’

Katherine Wade

The search for the next group of “faces of WKU spirit” starts next week.

Robbin Taylor, vice president for Public Affairs, said this will be the second year for “The Spirit in You” ad campaign, which features WKU students and alumni.

The campaign focuses on different points of pride, including “The Spirit of Engagement” and “The Spirit of Adventure.” These ads have been set up around campus, shown on television and posted on billboards across Kentucky.

Last year, videos and banners were made of students who were individually recommended to the public affairs department. But this year, anyone can audition.

Stacey Biggs, chief marketing officer for public affairs, said WKU decided to open up the campaign to the entire student body so that anyone who was interested could get involved.

“It seemed like it would be a really fun opportunity for everyone to have a chance at it,” she said.

There will be a casting call on Wednesday and Thursday of next week in the Downing University Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Biggs said. Sample videos and photos of the students who come will be taken.

Biggs said she is looking for students who not only can speak and appear well on camera but also have a passion for WKU.

“We want students who are energetic, who do have WKU spirit,” she said. “We want them to be able to … get others excited when they see what WKU means to these students.”

Taylor said about 10-15 students will be chosen and will be exhibit diversity in race, age and major.

At the casting call in DUC, students will be asked questions such as why they chose to attend WKU and what WKU means to them. Biggs said she would like to encourage any student who wants to be part of the campaign to come to the auditions.

Biggs said the theme for the campaign was chosen as a way to push the concept of “spirit.”

“‘The Spirit Makes the Master’ is a very important phrase for WKU,” she said. “We wanted to build on that and bring some true meaning to what that spirit means to different people.”

President Gary Ransdell said that phrase has been WKU’s guiding motto since the university’s beginning.

“Rather than trying to come up with some catchy slogan, why not take advantage of what is uniquely us?” he said. “I think it is a pretty neat campaign that is uniquely WKU.”