M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan concert a ‘success’ in CAB’s eyes

La Grange freshman Zach Scott crowd surfs Thursday during Philip 7’s performance at the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan concert on the South Lawn.

Chris Rutledge

South Lawn was buzzing with activity as WKU students gathered for the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan concert Wednesday night. Country crooners Love and Theft headlined the event, with support from Philip 7 and Canaan Smith.

Campus Activities Board President Sylvia Reyes said she was pleased with the turnout, especially considering the variety of musical genres.

“To have all of the people come in and stay through all three of them — that’s a success in my eyes,” she said.

Reyes, a senior from Lawton, Okla., said she saw some of the bands at a National Association for Campus Activities convention last semester and was impressed.

“To see them performing live for all of our students — I think it was a great turnout,“ she said. “They showed up and showed out.”

Nashville freshman Quenesha Wilson moved in Saturday and has enjoyed her experience at M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, although she admitted she was happy to get a break from walking up and down the hill.

Philip 7 made a fast fan of her.

“They’re really good,” Wilson said. “They have soul and they get everybody up and into the songs.”

Philip Scantlebury, the frontman for Philip 7, was also enjoying his time on campus. Philip 7 is based out of Barbados, and the concert was their first time in Kentucky.

Scantlebury was excited to expose audiences to styles of music he felt they might not be familiar with. 
“The crowd was really responsive,” he said. “It was fantastic.”

During the show, Scantlebury had some technical problems with his guitar, but he didn’t let it dampen his good time.

“We had fun,” he said. “On scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 10.”

CAB is already at work on its next big event, the Oct. 20 homecoming concert. The concert will take place in Diddle Arena and feature the Country Music Television tour with Luke Bryan, Lee Brice, Josh Thompson and Matt Mason.

Tickets to the homecoming concert will go on sale Sept. 9, according to the CAB Facebook page.