Three new grass lots open for football tailgating

Cole Claybourn

Three new grass parking lots will be available for parking and tailgating during the 2011 WKU home football season.

All three lots are on College Heights Boulevard – in front of BatesRunner Hall, McLean Hall and in “The Valley.”

“We place a high premium on fan feedback, and our fans wanted us to create additional grass parking back in the center of campus,” WKU Athletics Director Ross Bjork said. “This will enhance our game day atmosphere and fan experience at WKU football games and benefit all students and fans by giving them the capability to park vehicles and tailgate on the grass.”

Parking spaces in the three new lots can only be purchased on game day at $20 apiece. They’ll be sold on a first come, first serve basis and will open six hours before game time.

In the case of inclement weather, the grass lots are subject to being closed.

The new lots are in addition to the two seasonal lots that opened last season on College Heights Boulevard and University Boulevard.

Season passes for those lots can be purchased for $100 and are available to the general public as well as WKU students.

The student tailgating lot on Adams Street – also known as “Topperville” – will also remain open. Students can start parking in this lot at 6 p.m. Fridays before game day on a first come, first serve basis. The lot will close 30 minutes before kickoff.

Additional tidbits for game day parking and tailgating:

• The Topper Walk will start two hours and 30 minutes before each game.

• The Parking Structure located on the north side of Diddle Arena remains open on game day free of charge. Approximately 500 covered parking spaces are open in this lot.

• Tents can be set up on lawns six hours and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, and all lots will be closed 30 minutes prior to kickoff.