Peters declared ineligible, leaves WKU men’s basketball program

Jonathan Lintner

Brandon Peters, a guard on the men’s basketball team, did not regain academic eligibility during the spring semester and will leave the program, senior associate athletic director Todd Stewart announced Friday.

Peters, a freshman from Houston, Texas, was declared ineligible for most of the 2010-2011 season after WKU received his fall semester grades.

He was allowed to stay on the team and participate in meetings while attempting to regain eligibility for next season.

“Brandon worked extremely hard last semester and focused on his academics after being ruled ineligible, but came up short in meeting the requirements to return to the court next season,” said Head Coach Ken McDonald in a statement Friday. “To his credit, he did not give up or leave school once it was determined he had to sit out the second half of last season. We are very proud of Brandon for that.

“Ultimately, this will allow him to continue his academic and basketball careers closer to his home and family, including his newborn son. We wish Brandon and his family all of the best in the future.”

Peters averaged 6.5 points and 1.9 assists in 12 games as both a shooting guard and point guard before he was declared ineligible.

McDonald signed seven players as part of the 2011 recruiting class. With Peters now off the team, WKU sits at 13 scholarship players — the NCAA limit for men’s basketball programs.

Peters is the 11th player to leave the men’s basketball program since the 2008-2009 season, McDonald’s first at WKU.