Symphony to perform Brahms masterpieces

Kevin Allen

Classical musical masterpieces will be performed tonight by The Symphony at WKU with their concert, “Brahms Fest.”

The show will consist of three of Johannes Brahms’ most beautiful works, a piano concerto and two pieces that combine the orchestra and the choir, said Bill Scott, symphony conductor and professor of music.

Scott said this selection of pieces showcases some of the best of Brahms’ work because he had a knack for writing choral pieces and piano pieces.

For Scott, it isn’t just the music, but also the performance and choreography that attracts him to classical music.

“If you’ve never been to a symphony before, you should go just to see the beauty of the strings,” Scott said. “I always wondered as a child, how do they all know to move in the same direction?”

Sylvia Kersenbaum, a music professor and pianist, said she hopes everyone will take advantage of the opportunities on campus and come listen to the performances.

“It is all a matter of giving them the possibility to hear it,” Kersenbaum said. “Then they will like it.”

You never know what inspiration the music might give you, Kersenbaum said.

“Even great artists got to be that way because of that one opportunity to hear that great masterpiece,” she said.

The performance will be at 8 p.m. tonight in Van Meter Hall. Tickets are $5 for students and $22 for the public.