SGA Notes: Speaker position up for grabs at next meeting

Mike Stunson

At this week’s Student Government Association meeting:

-Nominations were given for next year’s Speaker of the Senate. The senate will vote between Kaylee Egerer, Nathan Bishop and Daniel Shaw at next week’s meeting.

-Executive Vice President Kendrick Bryan said he would like to see SGA set up tables to register voters for the 2012 national election at Academic Transition Programs and Master Plan.

-Bryan also said he would like to see student teaching abroad scholarships be offered next year in addition to the rest of the scholarships that are already offered.

-Administrative Vice President Wade Pierce said after the approval of today’s bills, there is $571.33 left in the senate budget.

-A resolution was approved that will support LettuceHelp, which is a local grocery delivery service for students who may not have vehicles on campus or accessible means to buy products.

-A bill was approved that will see $650 go to the funding of the service learning project for the Western Kentucky Symphonic Band. The group of 52 students will travel to Costa Rica for service and learning experience.

-$169.20 was allocated to fund a memorial gift to the Downing family on behalf of the student body.

-James Kennedy, coordinator of ResNet, spoke to the senate regarding the usefulness of the organization to students.