Regents approve all action items at Friday’s meeting

Regents approve all action items at Fridays meeting

Katherine Wade

WKU’s Board of Regents approved all action items at Friday’s meeting, its second quarterly meeting of the year.

Motions Approved

•    Doctor of physical therapy degree

•    Master of arts in teaching degree

•    Master of arts in social responsibility & sustainable communities degree

•    Bachelor of science in mathematical economics degree

•    Undergraduate certificates in computer literacy and information systems

•    Reorganization of Academic Affairs and Research divisions

•    Administrative reorganization of University College

•    Downing University Center renovation mandatory student fee

•    Revisions to the 2010-11 Operating Budget (Net decrease of $393,100)

•    Auditor’s report and financial statements for WKYU-TV and WKYU-FM radio

•    Accountants’ report on application of agreed-upon procedures, NCAA Compliance Report

•    Personnel actions as of March 10, 2011 (includes new hires and salary changes)

•    Naming of more than a dozen rooms/areas in the Augenstein Alumni Center

•    2012-2018 Six-Year Capital Plan listing the university’s construction priorities

Retention Task Force

Provost Gordon Emslie announced that WKU is forming a task force to address retention issues.

The task force assembly is still in progress, but Emslie said that Doug McElroy, assistant vice president of Academic Affairs and Provost’s Office, will spearhead the group.

Emslie said there are several reasons students don’t complete their degree, “only one of which is academic.” He said retention is a critical issue both on WKU’s campus and across the country.

The dropout rate is highest among freshmen and sophomores. Emslie said WKU’s main priority will be to make sure people come back for their second year.

“It’s very important that we make sure that students who come here intending to graduate get as much chance as possible to complete that degree,” he said.

2012-2018 Six-Year Capital Plan

The Board approved the 2012-2018 Six-Year Capital Plan.

Priorities on the capital plan include renovating the science campus, constructing a new Gordon Ford College of Business, renovating Grise Hall and renovating Downing University Center.

John Osborne, vice president of Campus Services and Facilities, said renovation of the science campus would involve the Thompson Complex Central Wing, removing Thompson North Wing, renovating Hardin Planetarium and adding space that would accommodate the SKyTeach program.

“This capital plan positions us to continue with the physical transformation of the campus we began in 1998,” Osborne said.

Osborne said WKU goes to the state for funding.

“We want the state of Kentucky money that we do have be focused directly on academic priorities,” he said.

WKU Spirit app for iPad

Sean Ward, assistant director of Marketing and Communication for the Office of Alumni Relations, presented an iPad app for WKU Spirit, the university alumni magazine.

Kathryn Costello, vice president of Development and Alumni Relations, said the app is useful because “staying in touch with alumni is more important than ever.”

Ward said the magazines growth rate is about 500 percent from issue to issue.

President Ransdell said he has installed the app on his iPad.

Look for more on Friday’s Board of Regents meeting in Tuesday’s Herald.