“The Dating Doctor” dishes out advice

Joanna Williams

David Coleman stood before a packed crowed in Mass Media and Technology Hall auditorium and said, “I know when you see me I look a little more like Kevin James than Will Smith.”

Coleman is a relationship expert who has been nicknamed “The Real life Hitch” and “The Dating Doctor,” references to the 2005 movie “Hitch,” in which star Will Smith helps people with their relationships.

The crowd roared with laughter at Coleman’s opening lines, and the show, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board, took off from there.

Students listened and laughed as Coleman combined interpersonal tactics with comedy to entertain and teach students who came out to listen.

Segments included “How can you tell if you’re ‘just friends,'” “Ways men show interest,” and “Subtle ways women let you know they are interested.”

Members of the audience laughed as Coleman recited stories and listed some bad pickup lines he’s heard.

Participants also filled out a Jahari Window, a personality assessment that showed people how they see themselves.

He stopped during the show to allow students ask him questions about their specific relationships.

Sarah Badgley, a senior from New Hampshire, said the long distance relationship segment was her favorite because she is in a long distance relationship.

“This was one of the best shows CAB has ever done,” she said.

Winchester sophomore Brianna Williams said she’s been to concerts CAB puts on, but the Coleman performance was high on her list of favorites. Despite enjoying the show she said she wouldn’t be using any of the advice given tonight.

“It was mostly common sense,” Williams said. “I’m not looking for a relationship right now- I’m trying to focus on school.”

Kristin Studle, a senior from Smiths Grove, said she came to the event because she had seen the movie “Hitch” and a friend told her Coleman was a great speaker.

Chicago senior Tatiana Casey said she came to listen to Coleman tonight because “I feel like I could use some dating advice.”

After the performance, Coleman said it had been “a really fun show.”

“These are some bright students,” he said. “They responded at the right time and asked meaningful questions. I go to some schools and the kids can ask juvenile questions, but this crowd was great.”

Coleman said he thought his speaking at WKU helped improve some relationships on the Hill.

“I know that I did,” he said. “A number of people said that I impacted their relationships by coming tonight.”