Baseball/Softball Roundup: Toppers show power in Friday win

Herald Staff

The power finally arrived for WKU baseball on Friday night.

The Toppers (5-0) hit three home runs against Kansas State at the Baseball at the Beach Tournament in Myrtle Beach, S.C., notching an 11-3 win.

Junior right fielder Ryan Hutchison, junior second baseman Ivan Hartle and junior third baseman Casey Dykes all belted home runs for WKU against the Wildcats (4-1).

But the Toppers also got some solid pitching, including six innings from sophomore Tanner Perkins (2-0). Perkins struck out four and allowed three runs on four hits.

Junior reliever Ross Hammonds pitched three scoreless innings for his first save of the year.

Kansas State took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning, but WKU scored two in the bottom of the frame and three in the second inning to lead for good.

The Toppers had 13 hits on the day, including three each from Hutchison and senior catcher Matt Rice. The duo also had three RBIs apiece.

WKU plays No. 17 Coastal Carolina at 4 p.m. Saturday.

Softball sweeps in Mississippi

The Lady Toppers (5-4) rebounded from two home losses to Eastern Kentucky Wednesday with two wins on the first day of the Red and Blue Classic at Ole Miss.

WKU led wire-to-wire in its second game, an 8-5 win over Southeast Missouri State, getting two RBIs each from freshman Amanda Thomas and freshman Kelsie Mattox.

Mattox hit her first career home run in the game, one of three the Lady Toppers knocked during the day.

Sophomore pitcher Mallorie Sulaski (2-1) recorded the win against SEMU, allowing just one run in 6 and 2/3 innings.

In WKU’s first game of the day, the Lady Toppers rode a stellar performance from sophomore pitcher Kim Wagner to a 5-0 win over Austin Peay. Wagner struck out nine batters in a full seven innings and surrendered just two hits.

Wagner also helped her own cause with a solo home run, and Sulaski also recorded her first homer of the year. Junior Amanda Walden had two RBIs.

The Lady Toppers start Saturday’s action with a 1 p.m. game against Louisiana Tech, then play Ole Miss at 7 p.m.