Two performances give arts lovers a choice

Will Kotheimer

Two campus events offer the WKU community different choices for cultural experiences this weekend.

Tonight, there’s “Some Old, Some New,” a performance by the WKU Symphony that will feature young musicians as soloists, compositions by Franz Schubert and Maurice Ravel, as well as a new Chinese composition called “Joy of Spring,” according to program materials.

The concert will be at 8 p.m. in Van Meter Hall and costs $5 for students and $22 for adults.

If theater is more your interest, there’s “Khamaseen,” a play that presents the story of an American couple in Egypt.

Writer-director Tom Coash, a visiting assistant theater professor, said he lived in Egypt for four years and wrote the play while teaching at the American University in Cairo.

“I wanted to write a play that showed the good side of Egypt,” he said.

The play was written before 9/11, but has since been revised to reflect the time period directly before the revolution that ousted President Hosni Mubarak, Coash said.

Posters by associate art professor Matt Tullis’s art students which were inspired by the play are currently displayed on the fourth floor of the fine arts center.

“Khamaseen” will be playing in Russell Miller Theatre in the fine arts center from Thursday until Tuesday at 8 p.m. each night and Sunday at 3 p.m.  It costs $9 for students and $11 for adults.