Three new academic programs on Friday’s Board of Regents agenda

Three new academic programs on Fridays Board of Regents agenda

Jonathan Lintner

WKU is seeking to add three new academic programs at this Friday’s Board of Regents meeting, according to the agenda released Tuesday.

Regents will consider the approval of a new Master of Accountancy, Doctor in Nursing Practice and new undergraduate minor in child life programs. All three have been previously approved by other committees, most recently WKU’s University Senate last fall.

Proposed dates to begin the accounting and nursing degrees are fall 2011, while the child life minor has been proposed for spring 2011, according to the agenda. The minor involves 21 semester hours in classes already offered by WKU in the College of Health and Human Services.

An enrollment report for Winter Term and the spring 2011 semester will be given to the regents by Dale Brown, interim associate vice president for enrollment management. Enrollment was 2,477 for Winter Term, down two from 2010, and 16,733 for spring 2011, down 115 from 2010.

Proposed revisions to the 2010-2011 operating budget include more than $12 million in carry forward and $519,800 in revenue projected to be in excess of the fiscal year 2011 budget. Revisions total $13,005,123.

The carry forward money will be used in a variety of ways, according to the agenda, from repairs to marketing campaigns and even new batteries for the campus police’s portable radios.

Friday’s agenda was the first to include a list of explanations for raises of more than $5,000, an idea proposed by Faculty Regent Patricia Minter at October’s Board of Regents meeting.

“With the budget restraints that we have right now, I do not think it is a bad idea,” Board of Regents Chair Jim Meyer said at the time.

Included at Friday’s meeting will be an update on SKyTeach, “WKU’s new program for recruiting, preparing and supporting undergraduate students.” SkyTeach is a partnership between the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences and the Ogden College of Science and Engineering. The first cohort of SKyTeach students began in fall 2008, and the initial group of SKyTeach students will complete teacher certification in spring 2011, according to the agenda.

John Osborne, vice president for Campus Services and Facilities, will give a campus construction update, and Kathryn Costello, vice president for Development and Alumni Relations, will give a development update.

Approval will also be sought to change the name of Consumer and Family Sciences to Family and Consumer Sciences.

Friday’s meeting is set for 1 p.m. in the Regents Room on the second floor of Mass Media and Technology Hall.