BLOG: WKU volleyball sweeps Lafayette

The WKU volleyball team kicks off the Sun Belt Conference Tournament against Louisiana-Lafayette at noon today. Follow along with the Herald’s coverage live from Alumni Memorial Gym on Middle Tennessee’s campus.

Emily Patton

Final Score:

No. 2 WKU defeats No. 7 Louisiana-Lafayette 3-0 (25-16, 26-24, 25-21) in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

The Lady Toppers will learn who their next opponent will be after the next match between no. 3 seed FIU and No. 6 seed Denver.

WKU’s next match will be played at 5 p.m. Friday.

Third game:

Louisiana-Lafayette has pulled within three, trailing 21-18 to the Lady Toppers.

The Sun Belt’s Freshman of the Year Melanie Stutsman gives WKU a 17-12 lead over ULL.

Senior Emily Teegarden’s kill gives WKU its largest lead of the game, 16-11 now.

A kill by sophomore Jordyn Skinner and ULL attack error puts Lady Toppers two in front; scorenow 11-9 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. Timeout on floor.

Skinner currently leads the team with 12 kills.

WKU attack error gives Louisiana Lafayette some life and ties match at 5-5.

Second game:

Lady Toppers win the second game 26-24 off a ULL attack error. WKU now leads 2-0 in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.

Attack error on Louisiana-Lafayette’s side puts WKU in the lead by one since beginning of the game, now 25-24. Timeout on the floor.

Kill by junior Tiffany Elmore eliminates match point now for ULL, now tied at 24 all.

A kill by sophomore Jordyn Skinner ties the game once again, now 22-22.

Second game remains a fight, tied again at 20-20 against WKU vs the Ragin’ Cajuns in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Number seven seed Louisiana-Lafayette are giving their best, leading Lady Toppers 16-14.

Kills from senior Emily Teegarden, junior Lindsay Williams and redshirt freshman Paige Wessel and a service ace from freshman Melanie Stutsman ties the score at 11 all.

WKU finds itself down by three, its largest deficit of the match, after an attack error and two kills from Louisiana Lafayette. Timeout on the floor. Score 10-7 ULL leading.

The Lady Toppers are getting more of a show from ULL now, with the score tied at 6 all. Service errors are a problem for both teams.

WKU are down 2-1 early in the second game against Louisiana Lafayette.

First game:

WKU is looking very in sync, winning the first game 25-16 on a kill by senior Emily Teegarden against Louisiana Lafayette.

The Lady Toppers are now on a 9-1 run against ULL; the score is now 18-10 against WKU in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Louisiana Lafayette has battled back now to pull within two. The score now is 11-9.

Lady Toppers jump ahead 9-4 with a kill by junior Tiffany Elmore and hitting errors by ULL.

Service error by ULL (17-15, 7-9 Sun Belt) and a kill by sophomore Jordyn Skinner gives the Lady Toppers 5-2 lead.

WKU (25-7, 14-2 Sun Belt) leads the Ragin’ Cajuns 3-2 in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Pregame Notes:

Now only minutes away from the start of the first game of the Sun Belt Tournament featuring the number two seeded WKU (25-7, 14-2 Sun Belt) against the number seven Louisiana-Lafayette (17-15, 7-9 Sun Belt) in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Starters for WKU include freshman Ashley Potts, junior Tiffany Elmore, redshirt freshman Paige Wessel, junior Lindsay Williams, sophomore Jordyn Skinner, frehsman Melanie Stutsman and sophomore Sarah Rogers.

Louisiana-Lafayette has dropped two games to UALR and Arkansas State last weekend prior to the tournament.