Kentucky Museum displays holiday ornaments

Ornaments+hang+on+the+WKU+Police+Explorer+tree+at+the+Kentucky+Library+%26amp%3B+Museum.+WKU+student+organizations+competed+in+an+ornament+decorating+contest+on+Nov.+16.+The+ornaments+will+be+on+display+through+Jan.+4+at+the+Kentucky+Museum.+

Ornaments hang on the WKU Police Explorer tree at the Kentucky Library & Museum. WKU student organizations competed in an ornament decorating contest on Nov. 16. The ornaments will be on display through Jan. 4 at the Kentucky Museum.

Rialda Zukic

With the holiday season approaching, some WKU clubs prepared by creating their own Christmas ornaments at the annual WKU Student Organization Holiday Ornament Competition at the Kentucky Library & Museum on Nov. 16.

The ornaments will be displayed at the Kentucky Museum through Jan. 4.

The WKU Art Guild took first place, Fashion Inc. took second and the American Society of Interior Designers took third.

Fashion Inc. incorporated its passion for fashion in the ornament decorating.

The group used items such as clothed miniature dolls, threads and needles and cutout magazine covers, which group members shrunk and put on cardboard.

Harrison Carter, a sophomore from Memphis, Tenn., and a member of Fashion Inc., said it’s good to create personalized ornaments with special meaning behind them. Anything that can be hooked can be turned into a decorative ornament.

Ornaments can be made out of cardboard, a piece of a T-shirt or even a cup, Carter said.

Other organizations, such as Phi Sigma Pi honor fraternity, didn’t place among the top three, but group members still enjoyed the event as a bonding experience.

The fraternity used its signature colors, gold and purple, as the color scheme for the ornaments and made personalized picture frames, which group members decorated with glitter and paint, said Emmanuel Owusu, a senior from Radcliff and fraternity leader in the ornament competition.

Owusu said an easy way to create a Christmas ornament is to use a Styrofoam ball, stick a paper clip in it (so it can be hung up) and paint the ball. But be sure to use paint that works on Styrofoam, and spray it with glitter to make it stand out, he said.

Another tip offered by Bowling Green junior Anna Bewley is to use paint brushes to add a lot of color.

“Have fun with it, and be creative,” she said, adding that the most important thing to remember when making ornaments is that it creates special memories.