Football notes: Andrews plays versatile role; Dalcourt rehabbing

Zach Greenwell

True freshman running back Antonio Andrews introduced himself to WKU’s home crowd last Saturday with a 37-yard pass on a trick play to start the ULM game.

He also carried the ball two times, and Taggart said Andrews will be used more frequently as he gets more comfortable.

“He wasn’t Kentucky Mr. Football for nothing,” Taggart said. “He’s a playmaker, and we’re trying to ease him in as we go. He’s coming along, and I think he’s going to be one of the great players here for us before it’s said and done.”

Andrews was a dual-threat quarterback at Fort Campbell High School. Taggart said he’s an extremely versatile player, which allows for some creativity.

“I see Antonio being everywhere for us,” Taggart said. “He’ll be in the backfield, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out at receiver, at quarterback, returning balls. He’s that good of an athlete.”

Today is a new day.

That was Head Coach Willie Taggart’s message Thursday during his weekly sit-down with the media.

Taggart said the Toppers have to move on from last weekend’s Louisiana-Monroe loss that “blew up in their faces” if WKU wants to compete with Louisiana-Lafayette Saturday.

“It’ll test the character of our guys,” Taggart said. “It’s always big after a loss like that. But I told the guys that this isn’t an ordinary football team. With the way we lost to Monroe, it’d be easy to think that we aren’t any good, or there’s no hope, or there’s a curse on us.

“But that’s what an ordinary football would think.”

Taggart said the Ragin’ Cajuns (2-4) could easily be undefeated in conference play.

ULL quarterback Chris Masson has passed for 1,275 yards and eight touchdowns this year. Tight end Ladarius Green has 318 receiving yards and three scores.

“They’re a really good football team, and their record doesn’t show that,” Taggart said. “They’ve been in a lot of these football games. The quarterback is really good, the tight end is really good, and they’ve got a lot of skill guys. Defensively, they’re very sound, so it’s going to be a challenge.”

Dalcourt still rehabbing

Taggart said freshman Courtney Dalcourt is still working his way back from his second knee surgery since he arrived at WKU, although he’s made more progress in recent weeks.

Dalcourt was recruited out of Franklin-Simpson High School as a quarterback, but Taggart said he’ll more to wide receiver when he’s healthy.

“This past week, he got out and caught a couple balls with the receivers,” Taggart said. “He’s not ready for contact yet, but he’s coming along fine.”

Taggart said the coaching staff has no timetable for Dalcourt’s return, although he wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the field later in the year.

“We’re not going to rush it. That’s the key,” Taggart said. “He’s got to rehab and make sure he’s 100 percent when he comes back. We can’t afford to have the same mishap again.”