Frequently Asked Questions: WKU Debit Cards

Ross Whitaker

Some students might still have questions about their WKU Debit Card now that they’ve received residual money. The Herald compiled a list of commonly asked questions about the debit card and got some answers.

Q1 Why did WKU decide to switch to the debit card?

WKU is getting bigger every year and refunds were becoming too much to handle. The university wanted to switch to electronic refunds rather than giving students a paper check. The staff chose Higher One, a company that helps college business offices manage operations and provide enhanced service to students, after reviewing other options. University officials wanted to fix former problems with checks being late or getting lost in the mail.

Q2 How do students get the WKU debit card?

The cards are mailed to students after they are registered with the university. Students should contact the WKU Debit Card office at (270) 745-5551 or stop by Potter Hall, Room 208 if there are any issues receiving the card.

Q3 Are there any fees for using the card?

The only fees that students need to worry about are overdraft charges and ATM fees. The card comes with a free checking account that has no service fees.

Q4 How can students get a replacement card?

Students should contact the WKU Debit Card office, and the staff there will help determine the best way to receive another one. They should also be contacted if the card needs to be re-activated.

Q5 Do students have to use the card or are there other ways to get residual money?

Students need the card to access their residual money. Refunds are handled through wkudebitcard.com. Options include putting the money on the card or getting it deposited directly into a bank account.

Q6 What are the benefits of the card?

The card can be used anywhere that accepts MasterCard just like a normal debit card. Parents can send the student money online using Higher One’s “Send Money” feature. Mobile alerts can be set up to keep tabs on the card’s balance from a cell phone, too.

Source: e-mail interview with Ashley Smith, accounts associate in the Bursar’s Office