Student injured at rock quarry

Spencer Jenkins

As of Monday afternoon, a WKU student who injured herself cliff diving at a local rock quarry was said to be in satisfactory condition.

David McArthur, community and media relations manager for University Hospital in Louisville, said Danielle Bartley will hopefully return home soon.

“Satisfactory is the best shape you can be in as far as being in a hospital,” he said.

On Sunday, Bartley and six other WKU students went cliff diving at a rock quarry near the Warren County and Logan County line.

Deborah Williams, public information officer for the Warren County Rescue Department, said Bartley injured her lower back after jumping into the quarry.

“Hitting the water is like hitting a wall,” she said. “People need to be really careful because it’s dangerous.”

The incident happened between 2:30 p.m. and 3:45 p.m., Williams said. Once the search and rescue team had their boats in the water, it took about 30 minutes to reach Bartley and 30 minutes to get her stabilized.

Logan County Sheriff’s Deputy Kyler Harvey said Bartley was taken by ambulance to The Medical Center in Bowling Green and then transported to University Hospital in Louisville.

Ronald and Mary Bunton, owners of Bunton Farm – where the quarry is located – said they had no idea the students were there.

“We have a sign saying no trespassing,” Mary Bunton said. “The quarry is dangerous anyways – I’m surprised they were there anyways.”

Logan County Sheriff Wallace Whittaker said the seven individuals are being charged with criminal trespassing.

Other WKU students at the scene couldn’t be reached for comment by press time. Attempts to reach Bartley’s family were also unsuccessful.