Village location changed

Hunter Wilson

Western officials recently decided to move the proposed Greek Village closer to the Hill on land currently owned by the Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center, near 14th Street.

The area, which now serves as a student parking lot, has not yet been purchased, said Gene Tice, vice- president of student affairs and campus services.

The decision was made this summer after the SKyPAC board voted to move the location of its new facility to downtown Bowling Green.

“We’ve got to work out all the details and get the property surveyed,” Tice said. “It really is still in the conceptual stage.”

He said it could still be two to three years before construction on the project begins.

Western will attempt to purchase the land after the survey is complete, Tice said.

Western was originally collaborating with the city to purchase land for the Greek Village.

“We’re not involved with purchasing the land from SKyPAC,” City Manager Chuck Coates said. “Western is working on an agreement to purchase the land from them.”

But part of the land originally proposed for the village would still be included in the new plan. Coates said the city would use eminent domain to purchase that land.

The village was proposed last semester to help unite Western’s Greek community.

It will feature a central lawn area for Greek activities, parking and brand new houses to accommodate the growing Greek population.

Charley Pride, director of student activities and organizations, said about six fraternities have shown an interest in the Greek Village.

Western officials plan to have about 11 houses in the area.

Pride said some fraternities are concerned about the buildings in the village. He said some Greeks are more concerned about building costs and space than policies the university might enforce in the area.

Reach Lee Fisher at [email protected].