Second tower to get logos

Lindsey Reed

The Bowling Green skyline will be getting a little more red this year.

Another water tower in Bowling Green will have Western logos painted on it.

The water tower, located on Interstate 65 near Cemetery Road and Lovers Lane, is owned by the Warren County Water District.

There are also plans to have Western logos painted on a water tower being built near University Boulevard owned by Bowling Green Municipal Utilities.

That water tower should be completed by October, said Mike Gardner, water systems manager for BGMU.

Western contacted the Warren County Water District to see if they were interested in adding a logo to a water tower, said Bob Edwards, assistant vice president for university relations.

The logo on the tower under construction will consist of a mural with different Western images. Three red towel logos will be painted on the existing water tower.

The university is paying for the logos through money it received from selling land to BGMU for the water tower near campus, Edwards said via e-mail. The exact cost has not yet been determined.

Edwards said BGMU contacted Western about adding a logo after purchasing land from Western to build the water tower.

General Manager Joe Liles said the Warren County Water District wanted to get involved by working with the community to promote Western.

A painting crew from Louisville has been hired to do the logos, which will be completed on the two water towers during the same time period, Edwards said.

Foundation work for the new water tower near campus began before the holidays, Gardner said. The concrete base on the tower near campus is almost finished, and the final concrete will be poured this week.

The water tower will hold 2.5 million gallons of water.

“We believe it will be a landmark for Bowling Green and Western,” Gardner said. “We think it’s going to look great.”

The actual tank is made of steel and its construction will begin as soon as all the materials are shipped.

A new water tower was needed because of growing demands, Gardner said. A study indicated that the city needed more water.

John Osborne, associate vice president for campus services and facilities, said the water tower near campus would supply water on campus and would improve water pressure and distribution.

The tower near campus was also built so that it could hold water while BGMU’s existing ground water tank goes through maintenance work.

Gardner said BGMU contacted Western about using a logo because of the tower’s location and height.

Reach Lindsey Reed at [email protected].