Sports briefs

Keith Farner and Wes Watt

Taylor paces women’s golf to 11th place

Junior golfer Jennifer Taylor used an opening-round 75 to propel her to an 11th place finish at the EKU Invitational last weekend in Richmond. Taylor finished with a 154, 10 shots behind Tennessee Tech’s Julie Smith, who won the tournament.

Individually, sophomore Lindsey King shot a 165 which tied her for 52nd. Sophomore Elizabeth Schmale and senior Sarah Lilly finished 63rd and 65th, respectively.

– Keith Farner

Five swimmers set marks at scrimmage

For both the men and women’s swim teams, the annual Red-White scrimmage turned into a day of record-breaking performances.

The men saw three records fall as juniors Paul Graves, Chad Waits and Alex Handley broke records in the 100 meter and 200 meter butterfly event.

Graves beat the previous record of 51:30 seconds with a time of 50:33, nearly a second faster then the previous time. Waits broke the record with a time of 50.88 seconds.

The 200 fly also saw its record shattered as Handley beat his own previous record of 1:55:37 with a time of 1:54:32.

The women’s team broke two of its records in the 200 fly and the 1000 freestyle as freshman Veronica Cullen and sophomore Stacy Schortgen made their marks in the record books.

Cullen broke the 200 fly by nearly a second with a time of 2:10:96, smashing the old record of 2:11:86. Schortgen established the first women’s record in the 1000 free with a time of 10:44:52.

– Wes Watt