SPORTS BRIEFS

J. Michael Moore

Lady Topper honored

The awards keep on coming for Tiffany Porter-Talbert.

The freshman guard from Manhattan Beach, Calif. was named as an honorable mention freshman All-American by www.womenscollegehoops.com.

Porter-Talbert was also named the Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year and named to the conference tournament team in March.

She was third on the team in scoring (12.4 per game) and rebounding (7.7 per game).

The Lady Toppers finished 22-9 on the season, winning the Sun Belt regular season and tournament crowns.

This is the third straight-year www.womenscollegehoops.com has honored freshman All-Americans, including three teams and a list of 12 honorable mentions.

Cowles gets two more

Western’s women’s basketball team added two more recruits yesterday, bringing the number of incoming freshman to seven.

Carla Bartee and Tifany Zaragoza signed National Letters of Intent to play for the Lady Toppers yesterday, joining five other high school seniors in coming to the Hill.

Bartee, a 6-foot forward from Waynesboro, Miss., averaged 24.4 points and 12.3 rebounds per game last season, leading Wayne County High School to a 26-7 record and a second place finish in the state.

Zaragoza led Chandler High School, in Chandler, Ariz., to a 20-11 record last season, averaging 13 points and nine assists per game.

Track adds a pair

Track coach Curtiss Long announced the addition of two athletes yesterday – a sprinter/jumper and a thrower.

Both are seniors at Apollo High School in Owensboro.

William Carter was the 2002 Class AAA state long jump champion.

This past season Carter competed in several events, including the long jump, triple jump, high jump, 100 and 200-meter dashes, and the 4×100 and 4×200 relays.

Another signee, Courtney Wood, is a thrower, winning the state indoor shotput championship the last three years.

She has been in the top-10 in the state the past three years in the shotput and the past two years in the discus competition.

– J. Michael Moore