TENNIS: Women roll, men fall over weekend

Kyle Hightower

The Western women’s tennis team opened up their season in impressive fashion this weekend, picking up wins over Lipscomb and Morehead State.

The Lady Toppers won 4-2 in both contests, led by freshman Karina Ledaja, who won both of her matches in No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles.

On Friday, Western ruined the Bisons’ home opener with a 4-2 victory as head coach Jeff True received singles wins from Ledaja, freshman Ieva Balcus at No. 2 and sophomore Emily Lichtenberg at No. 6.

Ledaja and Balcus paired up for a victory in No. 1 doubles, while Lichtenberg and senior Jennifer Granger prevailed in No. 3 doubles.

The Lady Toppers picked up their second victory of the year in the opening installment of Saturday’s doubleheader with the men’s team against the Eagles.

Ledaja and Lichtenberg picked up singles wins at No. 1 and No. 6, respectively, while junior Olga Kosaka chipped in with a win at No. 4 singles. Ledaja and Balcus picked up their second doubles win of the season, followed by a win from Kosaka and senior Lienne Rozentale in No. 2 doubles.

The Lady Toppers do not return to action until Feb. 14 when they welcome Belmont at 7 p.m.

Men lose to Morehead State

The men’s tennis team didn’t fare as well as their female counterparts this weekend when they dropped their fifth match of the season Saturday.

They lost 4-2 to Morehead State, despite the efforts of sophomore Mikus Paipars and freshman Stan Rabinovics.

Paipars won in his match at No. 1 singles, while Rabinovics upped his record to a perfect 5-0 on the season with a win at No. 2 doubles.

The Hilltoppers return to action on Feb. 7 when they travel to Clarksville, Tenn., to take on Austin Peay at 5 p.m. They return home Feb. 8 to host Southern Indiana at 4 p.m.

Reach Kyle Hightower at [email protected].