Western holds events for MLK Day

Stephanie Toone

Western students will have several opportunities to commemorate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday.

Western and the Bowling Green community are holding several events to make sure everyone will make the most of the holiday.

C.J. Woods, the director of Western’s Office of Diversity, said the events bring awareness of the former civil rights leader.

“Having a program for the community adds so much more to the holiday,” Woods said. “Everyone has a chance to be involved in the day.”

The festivities will begin with a memorial breakfast at Girls, Inc. at 7:30 a.m..

Immediately after the breakfast, Donzella Lee, from the Taylor African Methodist Episcopal Church will speak.

Woods said he feels that one of the most important events of the day will be the symbolic march from the Justice Center to Van Meter Hall.

Participants in the march will sing spirituals led by the Amazing Tones of Joy, a gospel music group at Western.

“The march symbolizes the civil rights era,” he said. “That’s why we wanted to incorporate it.”

The main program at Van Meter Auditorium will include a sermon by Jamal Harrison-Bryant, the pastor and founder of the Empowerment Temple in Baltimore.

The main program will also feature performances by the Village Dance Group, the Bowling Green African American History Club Choir, the Warren Central High School Band and Amazing Tones of Joy.

Chuck Glass, director of the Bowling Green High School African American History Club Choir, said he is excited for his students’ involvement this year.

“(Students will gain) exposure and experience by seeing what college kids are doing for African-American history,” he said.

For more information about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day events call the Human Rights Commission and the Housing Authority. Contact the Housing Authority at 843-6071 or the Human Rights Commission at 782-7900.

Reach Stephanie Toone at [email protected].