Hollingsworth declines extra year of eligibility, will hire agent

Credit: WKU Athletics

Charles Bassey (23) and WKU Senior guard, Taveion Hollingsworth (11) celebrate with a hug after the game against Old Dominion on Saturday, March 6, 2021.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

WKU Basketball senior Taveion Hollingsworth announced via twitter on Monday that he will not take his extra year of eligibility extended by the NCAA and will instead hire an agent to pursue a professional basketball career.

“It’s always been my dream to play professional basketball. So, with that being said, I have decided to forgo my extra year of eligibility, and hire an agent in order to pursue my dreams,” Hollingsworth said via social media. “This is only the beginning, so thank you for being a part of this journey.”

The Lexington, Kentucky native amassed the most minutes played (4,525) and most games started (131) in program history during his time on the Hill and never missed a game during his Hilltopper career. Hollingsworth played a key part in driving WKU to three-straight Conference USA championship games and also leaves WKU with the program’s all-time best free throw shooting percentage (.818) and fifth-most points scored (1,896).

Hollingsworth is the seventh player to leave WKU’s roster since the end of the 2020-21 season and third to leave to pursue a professional career. Junior Charles Bassey declared for the NBA Draft on April 1 and redshirt senior Carson Williams signed a free agent deal to play tight end with the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders on April 27. Freshman Kyle Milton, sophomore Jordan Rawls, junior Kevin Osawe and redshirt senior Kenny Cooper have all entered the transfer portal since the season ended. 

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.