WKU Track & Field turns attention to Outdoor Championships

Credit: WKU Athletics

WKU Track & Field’s (left) Alexis Williams, (middle) Brett Bannon, and (right) Grace Turner earned individual event titles on Saturday at the Samford Invitational at the Birmingham Crossplex.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

WKU Track & Field will travel to Murfreesboro, Tennessee this weekend for the 2021 Conference USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships. WKU will begin competing in events on Friday afternoon and events will run until Sunday evening.

The Hilltoppers are coming off of a strong performance at the Kentucky Invitational on April 30 to May 1 where WKU earned 17 top-10 finishes, nine of which were top-fives. It was there that sophomore pole vaulter Devon Montgomery recorded a career-best height of 4.73 meters, the third best result in program history.

Sophomore sprinter Alexis Williams’ 100-meter time (11.69) from the Gamecock Invitational on April 10 is currently the third-best time in C-USA and her 200-meter time (23.58) from the same invitational ranks second in the conference. 

Junior distance runners Clint Sherman (3:50.19) and Dedrick Troxell (3:50.98) are currently seventh and ninth in the conference in the 1500-meter event respectively.

Freshman thrower Kaison Barton’s most recent recorded shot-put attempt ranks fifth in C-USA (16.60m) and fellow thrower junior John Elam holds the eight-best record in the conference in the hammer throw event (53.92m). Sophomore high jumper Grace Turner currently holds the eighth-best high jump result in C-USA (1.66m). 

The full schedule for the weekend can be found here.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.