Maryland transfer Jairus Hamilton commits to WKU

Credit: WKU Athletics

WKU’s head coach Rick Stansbury yells during the Charlotte v WKU basketball game on Feb 22, 2020 in Diddle Arena. The Hilltoppers were defeated 72-20.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

Former Maryland forward Jairus Hamilton committed to WKU on Friday, according to Verbal Commits.

The 6-foot-8 junior power forward from Charlotte, North Carolina appeared in 31 games for the Terrapins in 2020-21, starting in five of those contests. Hamilton averaged 6.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game and shot 43% from deep, a mark that improved to 56% over his final 10 games of the season.

Hamilton recorded a season-high of 15 points and eight rebounds against St. Peter’s on Dec. 4. He also shot five-of-six from three during the Big Ten Tournament.

Before his junior year at Maryland, Hamilton spent two seasons at Boston College, appearing in 54 games and starting in 28 of those during his time as an Eagle. Hamilton started 20 of 24 games in his sophomore season and averaged 9.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game while leading his team in field goal percentage inside of the arc (55%). Hamilton scored a career-high 23 points including five threes in a win over Virginia Tech at home on Jan. 25, 2020.

ESPN gave Hamilton a four-star grade in 2018, ranking him as the sixth-best prospect in North Carolina and 58th best in the country. Rivals.com gave Hamilton a four-star rating as well, ranking him as the 90th best athlete in the class of 2018.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.