Haggerty III, Jones named to 2021 CoSIDA Academic All-District II Team

Credit: WKU Athletics

Senior punter John Haggerty punting during spring practice on April 6, 2021. 

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

WKU Football punter John Haggerty III and defensive end Juwuan Jones were named to the 2021 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDSA) Academic All-District II Team, the organization announced on Thursday. WKU is one of just five Conference USA programs to land multiple representatives on the All District Teams.

Jones, who made All-District in 2019 as well, became the first WKU Football student-athlete to be recognized twice since defensive back Mark Santoro earned the honor back-to-back in 2009-10. Haggerty is the first WKU special teams member to be recognized since kicker Peter Martinez back in 2002.

District II consists of all FBS and FCS DI programs in Kentucky, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C. and West Virginia. Nominees must be starters or contribute significantly to their respective programs while keeping a minimum 3.3 GPA.

Haggerty has kept a perfect 4.0 GPA during his Organizational Leadership graduate program, landing on the WKU President’s List for all five semesters and earning the C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Medal in both of the last two years.

Jones earned his bachelor’s in Sport Management in just three years, graduating with a 3.75 GPA. He is currently working towards a master’s in Teaching with a focus in Special Education. Jones made the 2020 C-USA All-Academic Team.

Haggerty and Jones are now eligible for the All-America ballot, which is to be announced later this summer. WKU has not had a football student-athlete be named a CoSIDA Academic All-American since defensive back Brian Lowder accomplished the feat back in 2002.

The full list of honorees can be found here.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.