Hilltoppers welcome Bowling Green native Bush to softball roster

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

WKU Softball head coach Amy Tudor and her staff announced the addition of catcher Jessica Bush, a transfer from Lipscomb, to the WKU softball program on Wednesday. Bush is a Bowling Green native and played her high school ball at South Warren High School before beginning her collegiate career with the Lipscomb Bisons.

“We are excited to have Jess join our team,” Tudor said in a press release. “She has a great work ethic and wonderful attitude. She will positively impact our pitching staff and our team. She is versatile, can hit for power and brings experience.”

Bush helped lead the Bisons to a .500 record (18-18) in 2021 over the course of her freshman season. WKU was due to face Bush and company during the 2021 season but the matchup between the two programs was postponed and ultimately not made up due to scheduling conflicts.

Bush started three games behind the plate and appeared in five games total in 2021. She threw out 1-of-3 runners attempting to steal and scored a run in her collegiate debut against Butler on Feb. 20, 2021. Bush finished the year with a .938 fielding percentage with 14 putouts and an assist.

Bush collected numerous awards during her high school career. She was tabbed as a 2015 USSSA All-American for the Great Lakes Region, earning All-Region honors twice as well as an All-District nod. Bush lettered in both softball and basketball and was a Kentucky High School Athletic Association Academic All-State First Team selection in both sports from 2017-19. She is the daughter of Rod and Haley Bush and has one brother, Dylan.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.