WKU Tennis schedule set, features three tournaments

Credit: William Kolb/HERALD

The WKU women’s tennis team practices on the newly constructed tennis courts at South Campus. The courts are intended for use by the WKU tennis team and intramural sports.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

WKU Tennis announced its schedule for the upcoming fall season on Thursday, a slate which features three tournaments hosted by three regional programs.

The Hilltoppers only competed in one tournament the past fall due to circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Head coach Greg Davis expressed his satisfaction with his program’s difficult set of opponents.

“I wanted a challenge from the fall schedule, I really wanted to go up against some good teams,” Davis said in a press release. “And all three of these tournaments are new ones that we have never played before.”

The Lady Toppers will begin the season in Cincinnati, Ohio on Friday, Sept. 17 in the two-day Cincinnati Invitational, hosted by the Bearcats and also featuring Bowling Green State and Miami (Ohio).

The second tournament on WKU’s radar is the Butler Invitational in Indianapolis, Ind. on Oct. 1-3, hosted by the Bulldogs and also featuring Dayton and IUPUI.

The final trip of the season will see the Lady Toppers travel to Birmingham, Ala. to play in the Samford Invitational on Oct. 8-10. WKU will face Samford, ULM-Monroe and C-USA rival UAB.

“Nowadays when a lot of the collegiate players go home there’s not a lot of options to play tournaments,” Davis said. “The main thing is to getting them matches, getting them under pressure in competition and getting them into match-playing conditioning, so when January comes around we’re ready for the dual matches.”

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.