CHHS hosts Fall Welcome to welcome students back

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

The College of Health and Human Services welcomed students at its Fall Welcome event on Thursday, Aug. 26 at the Academic Complex Courtyard.

The event included multiple booths that introduced CHHS specific organizations, games, a raffle and the opportunity to meet CHHS faculty and staff. 

“Campus feels happy again,” Sarah Krebs, a senior communication disorders major from Newport said. “I love just finally being able to communicate and see each other […] getting to be together makes all the difference.”

Social work, communication disorders, nursing and interior design were some of the departments and majors represented at the event. Students also lined up for free pizza and CHHS t-shirts being handed out by the staff.

“Everyone is super friendly, and it feels so comfortable,” Claire Young, a freshman nursing major said. “I love how the CHHS is so far.”

The event also allowed department staff to reconnect with the CHHS community and introduce first-year students to all the opportunities available within the college. 

Tania Basta, the dean of CHHS, spoke of the exciting return to a semi-normal fall semester.

“This is just amazing for all the students,” Basta said. “We never thought what happened last year would happen, but we did what we had to […] I am so happy to offer this event again.”

CHHS didn’t just have first-year students in mind for this event; Basta said this was a celebration for everyone.

“There is an excitement and energy on campus again, I almost forgot how many students we truly have on the Hill,” Basta said. “This event is for freshmen and sophomores, since we couldn’t do this last year […] It is a celebration of making it past that rough patch.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].