Tickets, parking, tailgating: what students need to know for game day

Jake Moore

The Hilltoppers open their season on Sept. 2 against the UT Martin Skyhawks.

Rob Holmes IV, Sports reporter

The Hilltoppers will play their first home game of the year against the UT Martin Skyhawks this Thursday, Sept. 2 at 7:00 p.m. 

The season opener is a “White Out” and fans are advised to wear white to match the football team’s uniforms. Tailgating will take place before kickoff. 

WKU Athletics’ Football Tailgating Map has information on times and locations. The student sections for tailgating are to be held on the lower part of South Lawn from 3-6:30 p.m. All other tailgating sections and activities will be open at 4 p.m. and the Topper Walk will commence at 4:40 p.m. at Parking Structure 1.

Students can attend for free as long as they present their WKU ID with them at the gate. Student guest tickets will be sold for $15 and buyers will be able to sit in any student section that is open. Students can also download the WKU Red Wave app for exclusive content, prizes, and gear. The Red Wave app is available on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.

Fans do not need to present proof of vaccination to attend but masks are required indoors for everyone, regardless of vaccine status, in accordance with university policy.

Parking will be free with shuttle service in Creason Lot, Parking Structure 3, Russellville Road West Lot, Adams Street Lot, Kentucky Street Lot and Alumni Square Garage. Topper Transit will begin on campus at 5:00 p.m. with two different routes. Shuttle services will pause after kickoff and will resume halftime until around 11:00 p.m.. Masks are required to ride and seating will be limited. 

Disability and RV parking will both be available in Creason Lot. Avenue of Champions will close at 3:00 p.m., so use Regents Ave. or Minton Circle instead. Campus and local police will direct traffic towards the end of the game if needed.

Sports reporter Rob Holmes IV can be reached at [email protected].