Market on the Avenue brings local agriculture businesses to campus

Paul Maxwell

Laura Beth Fox-Ezell, representing the Community Farmers Market, gives out free watermelon samples.

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

This semester’s first Market on the Avenue was held today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. featuring local businesses and social organizations for students to stop by and see.

This event focused on showcasing local businesses and student organizations involved in agriculture and sustainability. Tables included those from the Community Farmers Market, the WKU Office of Sustainability, and Hilltopper Nutrition.

“Our goal is to bring local businesses and agriculture events to WKU that can be resources for students,” Emma Grace Vaughan, a senior self-designed agritourism major who helped develop this event said. “We want to bring agriculture to campus and make it more accessible for students.”

One of the tables featured was from Community Farmers Market, a local year-round farmers market.

“We’re trying to get the word out about the farmers market […] Students can use big red dollars to pay, and they’re part of our program, where, for example, if you have $5 to spend, we’ll double it,” Laura Beth Fox-Ezell, the market manager for Community Farmers Market said.

Those behind the Market on the Avenue hope to continue to have this event at the start of each month, with potentially new information tables and vendors. Their main goal is to bring farmers markets and agriculture to the students.

“It gives students an outlet for passions and for sharing things meaningful to them,” Leslie North, WKU Director of Sustainability said. “Even by just bringing out small elements, this event is a good way to get students involved in the community.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]