WKU Parent and Family Weekend sees record numbers in attendance

Tessa Killen

Western Kentucky University’s families and students wait in line to pick up their registration packets and t-shirts for WKU’s Parent & Family Weekend in Downing Student Union.

Madison Carter, News reporter

Parent and Family Weekend is back at WKU after last year’s cancelation due to COVID-19. The weekend, which lasts from Sept. 24-26, is full of activities for students and their families. 

Mindy Johnson, assistant director of student activities, leadership and volunteerism, said WKU is seeing a record turnout for the 2021 Parent and Family Weekend. 

Johnson said there are record numbers of people attending the cookout and lunch and the 3,500 tickets granted for the football game were completely sold out. 

“This weekend is an opportunity, especially in our current times, for us to come together and celebrate WKU,” Johnson said. “Family can look different for everybody, so it’s a great time for us to come together, celebrate, cheer on our Hilltoppers, and enjoy the festivities of being on campus.”

According to the WKU website, activities on Friday consist of WKU Softball exhibition double-header against Lakeland Community College, WKU Volleyball vs. Marshall and an opportunity to attend the WKU Symphony.

On Saturday, Sept. 25, different organizations on campus such as the Mahurin Honors College, Intercultural Student Engagement Center, Student Publications and the Gordon Ford College of Business will be hosting events for students and families to attend. WKU Volleyball will be taking on Marshall at 2 p.m. to wrap up the program’s first weekend of conference play.

Saturday night is the much-anticipated game against Indiana starting at 7 p.m. at Houchens-Smith Stadium.

Student Activities will be hosting a cookout before the game on South Lawn where families who purchased tickets will be able to grab food while enjoying the music and tailgates.

Johnson said the Family of the Year will be announced and honored at the game. 

“Students were able to nominate their family to be chosen as family of the year, ” Johnson said. “We had over 200 students who sent in applications.”

Family weekend will come to an end on Sunday with a Family Farewell Brunch starting at 11 a.m. at the Fresh Food Company in the Downing Student Union. There will also be a showing at the Hardin Planetarium from 2-3 p.m.

Parent and Family Weekend will be following campus guidelines for COVID-19 including wearing masks in all indoor areas regardless of vaccination status.

News reporter Madison Carter can be reached at [email protected].